What a beautiful symphony playing out in Genesis 40, composed, arranged and conducted by the LORD, God Almighty. So many finely tuned events, even the most stringent of skeptics cannot explain it away by claiming coincidence!
What a gift it is to appreciate His Orchestration. He is the Composer, Who has written the score of all of history. He is the Arranger, fitting together each participant to suit His composition. He is the Conductor, directing each member towards a melodious realization of His symphony. (The word, symphony, finds its origin in Latin and Greek, and essentially means, “sounding together.” A conductor virtually views his orchestra as one instrument to be played.)
The prelude, which began in a pit, is soon to crescendo to a climax fit for the most illustrious of concert halls, designed for the most notable of audiences, the LORD, God Almighty; for Him Who Orchestrates!
Consider Him Who Orchestrates
- His Orchestration is presented in perfect tempo.
- “Then it came about after these things;”… “5 Then the cupbearer and the baker for the king of Egypt, who were confined in jail, both had a dream the same night;”… “20 Thus it came about on the third day, which was Pharaoh’s birthday,” (40:1, 5, 20).
- His Orchestration is carefully and meticulously arranged.
- “Pharaoh was furious with his two officials, the chief cupbearer and the chief baker. 3 So he put them in confinement in the house of the captain of the bodyguard, in the jail, the same place where Joseph was imprisoned,” (40:2-3).
- His Orchestration is masterfully conducted.
- “Then they said to him, “We have had a dream and there is no one to interpret it.” Then Joseph said to them, “Do not interpretations belong to God? Tell it to me, please,” (40:8).
- His Orchestration includes syncopations. (Syncopation: “a variety of rhythms which are in some way unexpected which make part or all of a tune or piece of music off-beat; a general term for ‘a disturbance or interruption of the regular flow of rhythm.’ ”)
- ”Yet the chief cupbearer did not remember Joseph, but forgot him,” (40:23).
How are we to respond to His Orchestration?
- Trust His tempo; His timing is flawless. He alone holds time in His hand. He is neither governed nor restricted by time; He is sovereign and He is good. Let us choose to trust Him as we wait on His timetable.
- “The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him. 26 It is good that he waits silently for the salvation of the Lord,” (Lamentations 3:25-26).
- Trust His arrangement; His placement is indisputable. When we struggle with our circumstances, let us remember He has placed us for His glory and our good. Let us be faithful where we are and trust Him to re-position us in His time; often the re-positioning needs to happen within us rather than within our circumstances.
- “Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness [emphasis added].4 Delight yourself in the Lord; and He will give you the desires of your heart.5 Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He will do it. 6 He will bring forth your righteousness as the light and your judgment as the noonday,” (Psalm 37:3-6).
- Trust His conducting; His direction is prudent. Consider the wisdom in cooperating with Him in faith and following His perfect lead. He alone knows what is best; let us stop resisting, but rather submit to His leading. After all His purposes will prevail!
- “Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails,” (Proverbs 19:21 NIV).
- Trust His syncopations; His discipline is perfect. When we feel forgotten or overlooked, when life seems unfair and hurts, when we don’t understand the whys, we can trust our Who, Him Who Orchestrates. He knows precisely what is needed to fine-tune our individual melody so that we enhance the whole of the orchestra.
- “Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word… It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees,” (Psalm 11:65, 71).
What an unbelievable thrill and privilege to be a part of His symphony, to be trained by Him and for Him Who Orchestrates!