There would be no misunderstanding; the LORD called Moses for His Purpose within His Parameters to Prepare His people for His Presence.
Consider His Call
- A Call to His Purpose: Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him from the mountain, saying, “Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob and tell the sons of Israel:” [19:3]
- A Call to Remembrance: ‘You yourselves have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles’ wings, and brought you to Myself.’ [19:4]
- A Call to Obedience: ‘Now then, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be My own possession among all the peoples, for all the earth is Mine;’ [19:5]
- A Call to Holiness: ‘and you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ “These are the words that you shall speak to the sons of Israel.” [19:6]
- A Call to Submission: The Lord said to Moses, “Behold, I will come to you in a thick cloud, so that the people may hear when I speak with you and may also believe in you forever.” [19:9]
- A Call to Consecration: The Lord also said to Moses, “Go to the people and consecrate them today and tomorrow, and let them wash their garments; 11 and let them be ready for the third day, for on the third day the Lord will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people.” [19:10-11]
- A Call to Set Boundaries “You shall set bounds for the people all around, saying, ‘Beware that you do not go up on the mountain or touch the border of it; whoever touches the mountain shall surely be put to death.’ ” [19:12]
- A Call to Be Ready: He said to the people, “Be ready for the third day; [19:15]
- A Call to Holy Fear: So it came about on the third day, when it was morning, that there were thunder and lightning flashes and a thick cloud upon the mountain and a very loud trumpet sound, so that all the people who were in the camp trembled. [19:16]
- A Call to Warn: Then the Lord spoke to Moses, “Go down, warn the people, so that they do not break through to the Lord to gaze, and many of them perish.” [19:21]
How can we possibly respond to His Call?
Today may we be careful to answer His Call with an understanding of the immeasurable privilege and immense severity of approaching Holy God. His Call is a serious commission, not to be answered carelessly.
Let us lay our lives before Him in all humility. Today let us ask His Holy Spirit to examine our hearts; be willing to confront our own attitudes and behaviors that impede His Purpose, Parameters, Preparation and Presence in our lives; and submit to His Call as He works to conform us to the image of His Son.
- Are we more concerned with our plans than His Purpose?
- Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand. [Proverbs 19:21 ESV]
- Are we carefully aligning ourselves within His Parameters of obedience, holiness, consecration, boundaries and holy fear?
- Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe; 29 for our God is a consuming fire. [Hebrews 12:28-29]
- Are we cooperating with His Preparation by recalling His power, submitting to authority, making ourselves ready and heeding His warnings?
- “Remember this, and be assured;
Recall it to mind, you transgressors.
9 “Remember the former things long past,
For I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is no one like Me,
10 Declaring the end from the beginning,
And from ancient times things which have not been done,
Saying, ‘My purpose will be established,
And I will accomplish all My good pleasure’;
11 Calling a bird of prey from the east,
The man of My purpose from a far country.
Truly I have spoken; truly I will bring it to pass.
I have planned it, surely I will do it.
12 “Listen to Me, you stubborn-minded,
Who are far from righteousness. [Isaiah 46:8-12]
- “Remember this, and be assured;
- Have we become careless and casual in our approach to the LORD? If so, let us repent. We have been granted access to His Presence through the blood of Jesus Christ, but we must be ever mindful there is none like Him; He alone is holy and worthy of our reverent obedience.
- Your way, O God, is holy; what god is great like our God? [Psalm 77:13]
- The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. [Ecclesiastes 12:13]
Let’s Grow Together!