This is the law of the burnt offering, the grain offering and the sin offering and the guilt offering and the ordination offering and the sacrifice of peace offerings, 38 which the Lord commanded Moses at Mount Sinai in the day that He commanded the sons of Israel to present their offerings to the Lord in the wilderness of Sinai. [7:37-38]
In our attempt to comprehend the intricate rules and regulations involved in the laws of the offerings, one thing is abundantly clear, these laws are His laws, His way, no discussion or opinions invited. However, in the laws of the offerings we see His Ongoing Offer to all of mankind. His Ongoing Offer of atonement, forgiveness, cleansing, fellowship and peace, freedom from guilt, His priestly ministry, and undeniable reasons to give thanks and praise is extended to all, to all who will receive His Ongoing Offer by faith.
Consider His Ongoing Offer
The following descriptions, unless otherwise stated, are taken from the Zondervan NIV Study Bible:
- Burnt Offering: voluntary act of worship; atonement for unintentional sins in general; expression of devotion, commitment and complete surrender to God
- Grain Offering: voluntary act of worship; recognition of God’s goodness and provisions; devotion to God
- Sin Offering: mandatory atonement for specific unintentional sin; confession of sin; forgiveness of sin; cleansing from defilement
- Guilt Offering: mandatory atonement for unintentional sin requiring restitution; cleansing from defilement; make restitution; pay 20% fine
- Ordination Offering: (from Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance) 4394. מִלֻּא milluʾ, מִלּוּא millûʾ: A masculine noun designating a setting, a mounting; an ordination… also extends its meaning to placing a priest in office; his ordination, consecration, installation by a special ordination, filling, offering
- Sacrifice of Peace Offerings: voluntary act of worship; thanksgiving and fellowship (it included a communal meal)
How do we respond to His Ongoing Offer?
- By faith
- For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. [Ephesians 2:8]
- In surrender
- I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. [Galatians 2:20]
- Through obedience
- As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, [1 Peter 1:14]
- With thanksgiving
- Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. [Colossians 3:17]
The laws of the offerings reveal His Ongoing Offer to people everywhere to experience His Presence. But, there is coming a time when His Ongoing Offer will come to an end.
Therefore, just as the Holy Spirit says, “Today if you hear His voice,
8 Do not harden your hearts as when they provoked Me, [Hebrews 3:7-8]
Behold, now is “the acceptable time,” behold, now is “the day of salvation”— [2 Corinthians 6:2]
Today, let us wholeheartedly accept His Ongoing Offer by faith, in surrender, through obedience and with thanksgiving.
Let’s Grow Together!