At the end of every seven years you shall grant a release. 2 And this is the manner of the release: every creditor shall release what he has lent to his neighbor. He shall not exact it of his neighbor, his brother, because the Lord’s release has been proclaimed. [15:1-2 ESV]
Who of us wouldn’t love to experience release from debt every seven years? Couldn’t such benevolence be abused? Yes. Even so, He opens the gates wide to bring freedom through His Release. Will some take advantage? Yes. But His Release has been proclaimed that His children would extend to others what they themselves have received from Him.
His Release, granting forgiveness of debt, is a picture of His grace and mercy when He Released His children out of their bondage in slavery. His Release is a call to demonstrate His character to others in gratitude for all He has done for us.
Consider His Release
- His Release opens hands to cancel debts
- …but your hand shall release whatever of yours is with your brother. [15:3]
- His Release opens hands to extend generosity
- However, there will be no poor among you, since the Lord will surely bless you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance to possess [15:4]
- His Release opens hands to take hold of Him
- if only you listen obediently to the voice of the Lord your God, to observe carefully all this commandment which I am commanding you today. [15:5]
- His Release opens hands to receive His blessing
- For the Lord your God will bless you as He has promised you, [15:6]
- His Release opens hands to be a blessing
- and you will lend to many nations, but you will not borrow [15:6]
- His Release opens hands to demonstrate His character
- but you shall not borrow, and you shall rule over many nations, but they shall not rule over you. [15:6]
- His Release opens hearts that we would remember
- You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God redeemed you; therefore I command you this today. [15:15]
How do we respond to His Release?
- May His Release open our hands to cancel debts.
- Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you. [Ephesians 4:32]
- May His Release open our hands to extend generosity.
- In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ [Acts 20:35]
- May His Release open our hands to take hold of Him.
- I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. [Philippians 3:12]
- May His Release open our hands to receive His blessing.
- Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, [Ephesians 1:3]
- May His Release open our hands to be a blessing.
- And do not neglect doing good and sharing, for with such sacrifices God is pleased. [Hebrews 13:16]
- May His Release open our hands to demonstrate His character.
- “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” [John 13:34-35]
- May His Release open our hearts that we would remember.
- Bless the Lord, O my soul,
And all that is within me, bless His holy name.
2 Bless the Lord, O my soul,
And forget none of His benefits; [Psalm 103:1-2]
- Bless the Lord, O my soul,
Let’s Grow Together!