But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people;” [2:10]
Gospel literally means good news and the Gospel is definitely Good News. But not just Good News, it is His Good News and it is of Great Joy.
Again I marvel and wonder why. Why did He, why does He and why will He go to such great lengths to deliver His Good News of Great Joy to so many who seem to care so little.
Again, questions none can adequately answer; none but Him Who does the unthinkable to send us His Good News of Great Joy.
Consider His Good News of Great Joy
- His Good News of Great Joy is for all people.
- But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people;” [2:10]
- His Good News of Great Joy announces a Savior.
- for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, [2:11]
- His Good News of Great Joy introduces the Anointed Messiah.
- … a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. [2:11]
- His Good News of Great Joy exalts Him.
- And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased.”… 20 The shepherds went back, glorifying and praising God for all that they had heard and seen, just as had been told them. [2:13, 20]
- His Good News of Great Joy creates a sense of wonder.
- And all who heard it wondered at the things which were told them by the shepherds. [2:18]
How do we respond to His Good News of Great Joy?
- No matter what we have done, how undeserving we feel, His Good News of Great Joy is for all people, it is for us.
- For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, [Titus 2:11]
- Jesus Christ is our only hope and Savior for the forgiveness of our sins.
- looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, [Titus 2:13]
- He sent His Good News of Great Joy that we would believe Jesus is the Anointed Messiah and thereby receive life in His name.
- But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. [John 20:31 NIV]
- As we grow in our love for Jesus, let us submit to Him Who is exalted above all else, that He would be exalted in our lives.
- For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. [Philippians 2:9-11]
- May we never lose a sense of wonder as we consider His Good News of Great Joy, Jesus.
- I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet…12 Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking with me…17 When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. And He placed His right hand on me, saying, “Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, 18 and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades. [Revelation 1:10,12, 17]
- Let us grow to become like the shepherds, wasting no time to find Him daily and then boldly tell others. How can we possibly keep to ourselves His Great News of Great Joy?
- So they came in a hurry and found their way to Mary and Joseph, and the baby as He lay in the manger. 17 When they had seen this, they made known the statement which had been told them about this Child. 18 And all who heard it wondered at the things which were told them by the shepherds. [2:16-18]
Let’s Grow Together!