As the book of Deuteronomy, actually the entire Pentateuch, concludes, I was left wondering why there wasn’t some type of dramatic fanfare declaring the culmination of God’s Holy Law. But there is no fanfare for He is not finished. His Word is eternal and He Continually Communicates through every transition, through every step, through all of life and death.
Consider Him Who Continually Communicates
- He Communicates the Confirmation of His Word
- Now Moses went up from the plains of Moab to Mount Nebo, to the top of Pisgah, which is opposite Jericho. And the Lord showed him all the land… 4 Then the Lord said to him, “This is the land which I swore to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, saying, ‘I will give it to your descendants’; I have let you see it with your eyes… 5 So Moses the servant of the Lord died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the Lord. [34:1, 4-5]
- He Communicates His Compassion for His own
- And He buried him in the valley in the land of Moab, opposite Beth-peor; but no man knows his burial place to this day. [34:6]
- He Communicates the Commissioning of His leaders
- Now Joshua the son of Nun was filled with the spirit of wisdom, for Moses had laid his hands on him; and the sons of Israel listened to him and did as the Lord had commanded Moses. [34:9]
- He Communicates His Commendations of His faithful servants
- Since that time no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face, 11 for all the signs and wonders which the Lord sent him to perform in the land of Egypt against Pharaoh, all his servants, and all his land, 12 and for all the mighty power and for all the great terror which Moses performed in the sight of all Israel. [34:10-12]
How do we respond to Him Who Continually Communicates?
He Continually Communicates. The question is, are we paying attention? Let us tune our hearts and ears to listen and hear Him in every area of life.
- He Communicates the Confirmation of His Word. What the Lord has said He will do, He will do. He said He would confirm His Word by signs and wonders. One of His greatest wonders is His miraculous work when a mere human is born again and becomes a new creature in Christ. Is His Word being Confirmed in our lives? Is there evidence of the new things in Christ? (Don’t let another day pass without making sure you are born again by placing your faith in Jesus Christ’s sacrifice for your sins).
- After it was at the first spoken through the Lord, it was confirmed to us by those who heard, 4 God also testifying with them, both by signs and wonders and by various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit according to His own will. [Hebrews 2:3-4]
- Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. [2 Corinthians 5:17]
- He Communicates His Compassion for His own. Are we taking hold of His compassion by faith? When trials and troubles come we must believe He is for us and will freely give us all we need, confident that nothing can impede His love towards us.
- What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? … 35 Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? … 37 But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. [Romans 8:31-32, 35, 37-39]
- He Communicates the Commissioning of His leaders. When we are born again, new creatures in Christ, we are commissioned to lead others to Him. Are we paying attention and answering His call?
- And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” [Matthew 28:18-20]
- He Communicates His Commendations of His faithful servants. The day will come when He will assess our lives. His Commendations are to those who live by faith, understanding their inadequacies apart from Christ and believing He fits His servants for faithful service. Let us live dependent on Him and seek His approval alone.
- Are we beginning to commend ourselves again? … 5 Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God, 6 who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. [2 Corinthians 3:1, 5-6]
He Continually Communicates to His children, telling us we can’t even fathom all He has in store for those who love Him. It is not in the fanfare, but when we rest in Him by faith, when we are still and cease striving that we begin to hear, understand and know Him Who Continually Communicates.
He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;” [Psalm 46:10 NIV]; “Cease striving and know that I am God;” [Psalm 46:10]
“Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard,
And which have not entered the heart of man,
All that God has prepared for those who love Him.” [2 Corinthians 2:9]
Let’s Grow Together!