Jesus came into this world that all would see His Light. His Light could not and would not be hidden.
“No one, after lighting a lamp, puts it away in a cellar nor under a basket, but on the lampstand, so that those who enter may see the light. [11:33]
His Light is perfect, Full of Light.
The eye is the lamp of your body; when your eye is clear, your whole body also is full of light… [11:34]
Many rejected His Light for they did not comprehend Him; the light in them was, in reality, darkness.
In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. 5 The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it. [John 1:4]
…but when it is bad, your body also is full of darkness. 35 Then watch out that the light in you is not darkness. [11:34]
Still He came. Jesus, Full of Light without a bit of darkness, wholly illumined, came to this world to illumine, if we would but see.
Then watch out that the light in you is not darkness. 36 If therefore your whole body is full of light, with no dark part in it, it will be wholly illumined, as when the lamp illumines you with its rays.” [11:35-36]
Consider Him, Full of Light
- His Light Illumines Prayer
- And He said to them, “When you pray, say… 9 “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you… 13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?” [11:2, 9, 13]
- His Light Illumines Unity
- But some of them said, “He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the ruler of the demons.” 16 Others, to test Him, were demanding of Him a sign from heaven. 17 But He knew their thoughts and said to them, “Any kingdom divided against itself is laid waste; and a house divided against itself falls…23 He who is not with Me is against Me; and he who does not gather with Me, scatters. [11:15-16, 23]
- His Light Illumines Faith
- As the crowds were increasing, He began to say, “This generation is a wicked generation; it seeks for a sign, and yet no sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah. [11:29]
- His Light Illumines Enlightenment
- The eye is the lamp of your body; when your eye is clear, your whole body also is full of light; but when it is bad, your body also is full of darkness. 35 Then watch out that the light in you is not darkness. [11:34-35]
- His Light Illumines Righteousness
- Now when He had spoken, a Pharisee asked Him to have lunch with him; and He went in, and reclined at the table. 38 When the Pharisee saw it, he was surprised that He had not first ceremonially washed before the meal. 39 But the Lord said to him, “Now you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and of the platter; but inside of you, you are full of robbery and wickedness.” [11:37-39]
How do we respond to Him, Full of Light?
It is only in His Light we are able to see light.
For with You is the fountain of life;
In Your light we see light. [Psalm 36:9]
As His Body, we are called to become like Him, Full of Light.
The eye is the lamp of your body; when your eye is clear, your whole body also is full of light; [11:34]
- His Light Illumines Prayer. Jesus, Full of Light, taught us to persevere in prayer; to trust the Father’s answers and provision will always be best. May we allow His Light to bring His peace as we persevere in prayer.
- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. [Philippians 4:6-7]
- His Light Illumines Unity. Jesus, Full of Light, taught us to understand who the real enemy is. May we never fight each other; let us strive for the unity in His Light to which we have been called.
- So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; 13 bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. 14 Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity. [Colossians 3:12-14]
- His Light Illumines Faith. Jesus, Full of Light, taught us not to seek after signs and wonders; all that is needed for salvation is provided by His death, burial and resurrection. May we build our lives on His Light, the truth of His gospel as declared according to the Scriptures.
- Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. 3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, [1 Corinthians 15:1-4]
- His Light Illumines Enlightenment. Jesus, Full of Light, warned us regarding the integrity of light; and what some consider to be light is actually darkness. Let us be on guard as we encounter the world’s enlightenment. We must know His truth, be enlightened by His Light, in order to detect deception.
- See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ. [Colossians 2:8]
- His Light Illumines Righteousness. Jesus, Full of Light, revealed man’s righteousness is not an outward display of works but an inward manifestation of His work of grace. Let us trust His work of righteousness in us, that we would be full of His Light and not our own.
- But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction; [Romans 3:21-22]
May we grow to see Him clearly, to become like Him, Full of Light; that a world, lost in darkness, would see His body, the church, and be illumined by His Light.
Let’s Grow Together!