Infrastructure: the underlying foundation or basic framework of a system or organization; the basic structure of an organization or system which is necessary for its operation. (In your house, the infrastructure is the system of beams, weight-bearing walls and the foundation that keeps it standing.)
The Lord called His people to be set apart and to build their lives on one essential foundation, one indispensable infrastructure required to bear the weight of the world’s pressures and temptations.
His Infrastructure of Holiness was to be the underlying foundation, the basic framework to enable His called out ones to stand as distinctly His. Every command, every statute and ordinance given was a call to build their lives upon His Infrastructure of Holiness.
Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying: 2 “Speak to all the congregation of the sons of Israel and say to them, ‘You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy,” (19:1-2).
After declaring His Holiness, He would undersore His commands fifteen times with His pronouncement, “I am the LORD,” (19:3,4,10,12,14,16,18,25,28,30,32,32,34,36,37).
And when God repeats Himself… we know we best pay attention!
Fifteen times He would remind them He is the LORD; underscoring His Holiness.
Fifteen times He would admonish His people to construct every part of their lives on what He, the LORD, had commanded; underscoring He alone is God.
Fifteen times He would remind His people of their call to be holy and set apart; underscoring His people were to be marked by obedient lives built upon His Infrastructure of Holiness.
Consider His Infrastructure of Holiness
- His Infrastructure of Holiness would mark their love for God.
- “Do not turn to idols or make for yourselves molten gods; I am the Lord your God,” (19:4).
- His Infrastructure of Holiness would mark their love for others.
- “…but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the Lord,” (19:18).
- His Infrastructure of Holiness would mark their obedience.
- “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out from the land of Egypt. 37 You shall thus observe all My statutes and all My ordinances and do them; I am the Lord,” (19:36-37).
How do we respond to His Infrastructure of Holiness?
There is much in the regulations and statutes of His Old Covenant we may find difficult to comprehend. But we see His Infrastructure of His Holiness throughout. Oh that our lives would be built upon His Infrastructure of Holiness, to bear the weight of the trials and temptations of life and to stand strong in the faith, and keep standing.
As we spend time with Him today, let us seriously consider whether His Infrastructure of Holiness marks our lives:
- Is my life marked by love for Him above all else; am I loving Him with all my heart, soul and mind?
- “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the great and foremost commandment,” (Matthew 22:36-38).
- Is my life marked by love for others, loving them, as I would want to be loved, in honesty, generosity and without partiality?
- “The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets,” (Matthew 22:39-40).
- “Treat others the same way you want them to treat you,” (Luke 6:31).
- Is my life marked by obedience?
- Finally then, brethren, we request and exhort you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us instruction as to how you ought to walk and please God (just as you actually do walk), that you excel still more, (1 Thessalonians 4:1).
- As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, 15 but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; 16 because it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy,” (1 Peter 1:14-16).
- For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome, (1 John 5:3).
As the Holy Spirit faithfully reveals the places in our lives that need His shoring up, may we respond in repentance and faith; that our love would grow and be established upon His Infrastructure of Holiness.
“Now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require from you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways and love Him, and to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul,” (Deuteronomy 10:12).
“By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another,” (John 13:35).
“If you love Me, you will keep My commandments,” (John 14:15).