“For I tell you that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me, ‘And He was numbered with transgressors’; for that which refers to Me has its fulfillment,” (22:37).
Fulfillment: the act or state of fulfilling
- to fulfill:
- to carry out, or bring to realization, as a prophecy or promise
- to perform or do, as duty; obey or follow, as commands
- to satisfy (requirements, obligations, etc.)
- to bring to an end; finish or complete, as a period of time
Consider Him, the Fulfillment
“For I tell you that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me …for that which refers to Me has its fulfillment,” (22:37).
- To fulfill: to carry out, or bring to realization, as a prophecy or promise
- After this, Jesus, knowing that all things had already been accomplished, to fulfill the Scripture, said, “I am thirsty,” (John 19:28).
- For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, (1 Corinthians 15:3-4).
- To fulfill: to perform or do, as duty; obey or follow, as commands
- “Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done,” (22:42).
- Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross, (Philippians 2:8).
- To fulfill: to satisfy (requirements, obligations, etc.)
- For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit, (Romans 8:3-4).
- And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; 2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world, (1 John 2:2).
- To fulfill: to bring to an end; finish or complete, as a period of time
- Therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit, (John 19:30).
- For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly, (Romans 5:6).
- But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, 5 so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons, (Galatians 4:4).
How do we respond to Him, the Fulfillment?
So much in this world is uncertain, except Him, the Fulfillment. We can trust Him because all He has said He will do. In Him, the Fulfillment, every promise is realized, every duty achieved, every requirement satisfied… it is finished!
From His own mouth He has declared Himself the Fulfillment.
“But from now on the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the power of God.” 70 And they all said, “Are You the Son of God, then?” And He said to them, “Yes, I am.” 71 Then they said, “What further need do we have of testimony? For we have heard it ourselves from His own mouth,” (22:69-71).
And His payment for our sin is finished, but He is not. Jesus Christ, the Fulfillment, is coming again. Let us be ready!
Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, 16 making the most of your time, because the days are evil. 17 So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is, (Ephesians 5:15-17).
Let us grow in our fear of the Lord, in our reverence and obedience, that we may receive His instruction to walk in true wisdom as we trust in Him, the Fulfillment, to enable us to make the most of every opportunity until He returns.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding, (Proverbs 9:10).
For further study on Him, the Fulfillment, you can visit the following site listing 355 Old Testament prophecies fulfilled in Jesus Christ and recorded in the New Testament. That is one prophecy to meditate and study for almost an entire year!