The book of Judges is named for the numerous leaders (judges) God raised up to deliver His people from out of the oppression they continually found themselves.
Actually, the entire theme of Judges is succinctly summarized in the following passage:
Then the LORD raised up judges who delivered them from the hands of those who plundered them. 17 Yet they did not listen to their judges, for they played the harlot after other gods and bowed themselves down to them. They turned aside quickly from the way in which their fathers had walked in obeying the commandments of the LORD; they did not do as their fathers. 18 When the LORD raised up judges for them, the LORD was with the judge and delivered them from the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge; for the LORD was moved to pity by their groaning because of those who oppressed and afflicted them. 19 But it came about when the judge died, that they would turn back and act more corruptly than their fathers, in following other gods to serve them and bow down to them; they did not abandon their practices or their stubborn ways, (Judges 2:16-19).
Though the LORD raised up judges for them, their deliverance lasted only as long as the judge. But there was one huge problem, these judges all died and were buried…
- Jephthah judged Israel six years. Then Jephthah the Gileadite died and was buried… (12:7)
- Then Ibzan died and was buried… (12:10)
- Then Elon the Zebulunite died and was buried… (12:12)
- Then Abdon the son of Hillel the Pirathonite died and was buried… (12:15)
Although the LORD raised up judges and was with each judge, the LORD alone was the One True Judge to deliver His people; the Deliverer Unlike Any Other.
Consider Him, the Deliverer Unlike Any Other
He has revealed Himself in His Holy Word as the Deliverer Unlike Any Other. Consider the following:
- But Gideon said to them, “I will not rule over you, nor shall my son rule over you; the LORD shall rule over you,” (Judges 8:23).
- “You are My witnesses,” declares the LORD,
“And My servant whom I have chosen,
So that you may know and believe Me
And understand that I am He.
Before Me there was no God formed,
And there will be none after Me.
11 “I, even I, am the LORD,
And there is no savior besides Me.
12 “It is I who have declared and saved and proclaimed,
And there was no strange god among you;
So you are My witnesses,” declares the LORD,
“And I am God.
13 “Even from eternity I am He,
And there is none who can deliver out of My hand;
I act and who can reverse it?” (Isaiah 43:10-13).
- “I am the LORD, and there is no other;
Besides Me there is no God,” (Isaiah 45:5).
- “And there is no other God besides Me,
A righteous God and a Savior;
There is none except Me,” (Isaiah 45:21).
- “Yet I have been the LORD your God
Since the land of Egypt;
And you were not to know any god except Me,
For there is no savior besides Me,” (Hosea 13:4).
How do we respond to Him, the Deliverer Unlike Any Other?
Jesus Christ, like the judges God raised up, also died and was buried. But Unlike Any Other, He was raised up from the dead. Only Jesus Christ conquered death and sin. Unlike Any Other, He lives!
- For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, (1 Corinthians 15:3-4).
- “As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives,
And at the last He will take His stand on the earth,” (Job 19:25).
When we believe His Word and turn to Him in faith, we will be saved.
- “Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth;
For I am God, and there is no other,” (Isaiah 45:22).
- And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved, (Acts 4:12).
In His great compassion and grace, God was so moved to send His Deliverer Unlike Any Other, and it is only in Jesus Christ we can be saved. But there will come a day when it will be too late to receive His gift of salvation. If we don’t surrender our will to Him in this life, we will bow before Him in the day of judgment.
- “Today if you hear His voice,
Do not harden your hearts, as when they provoked Me,“ (Hebrews 3:15).
- And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment, (Hebrews 9:27).
Today, let us ask Him to soften our hearts, that we would respond in faith. And as we seek Him in His Word by faith, He will convince and strengthen us to live surrendered to His rule each and every day.
The day is coming when opportunity to choose faith will end, and every knee will bow before Him. Today while there is yet time to willfully surrender, may we submit our will to Him, bowing in humility, faith, and gratitude for so great a salvation from Him, the Deliverer Unlike Any Other.
- “I have sworn by Myself,
The word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness
And will not turn back,
That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance.
24 “They will say of Me, ‘Only in the LORD are righteousness and strength.’
Men will come to Him,
And all who were angry at Him will be put to shame.
25 “In the LORD all the offspring of Israel
Will be justified and will glory,” (Isaiah 45:23-25).
- so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father, (Philippians 2:10-11).