And he reported to us how he had seen the angel standing in his house, and saying, “Send to Joppa and have Simon, who is also called Peter, brought here; 14 and he will speak words to you by which you will be saved, you and all your household,” (11:13-14).
As children, we may have all heard or said that well-known adage, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me;” usually touted in response to some careless or intentional flinging out of words meant to cut, to wound, and perhaps even to scar. And we also know the untruth in that sentiment; for words are potent with ramifications.
Consider His Words by Which We Will Be Saved
While some may speak words by which we will be injured, the Great and Glorious God of the Universe ushers in the curative elements of His Words. And it is only His Words that have true power to bring truth, light, and salvation to receptive hearts as He Speaks His Words By Which We Will Be Saved.
- His Words by Which We Will Be Saved must be heard:
- “So I sent for you immediately, and you have been kind enough to come. Now then, we are all here present before God to hear all that you have been commanded by the Lord,” (Acts 10:33).
- His Words by Which We Will Be Saved must be believed:
- and after he brought them out, he said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.” (Acts 16:30-31).
- His Words by Which We Will Be Saved must be received:
- Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 2:38).
And the evidence, that His Words by Which We Will Be Saved were heard, believed and received, was unmistakably publicized by all He Gave.
- He Gave His Gift:
- And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them just as He did upon us at the beginning. 16 And I remembered the word of the Lord, how He used to say, ‘John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’ 17 Therefore if God gave to them the same gift as He gave to us also after believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God’s way?” (11:15-17).
- He Gave His Growth:
- And the hand of the Lord was with them, and a large number who believed turned to the Lord. 22 The news about them reached the ears of the church at Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas off to Antioch. 23 Then when he arrived and witnessed the grace of God, he rejoiced and began to encourage them all with resolute heart to remain true to the Lord; 24 for he was a good man, and full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And considerable numbers were brought to the Lord, (11:21-24).
- He Gave His Generosity:
- And in the proportion that any of the disciples had means, each of them determined to send a contribution for the relief of the brethren living in Judea, (11:29).
How do we respond to His Words by Which We Will Be Saved?
When we are born again, our spirit is brought to new life in Christ, but our soul (our mind, will and emotions) must be continuously judged and brought into unity with our saved spirit by His Holy Spirit through His living and active Word.
For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart, (Hebrews 4:12).
It is His Word that divides soul and spirit, enabling us to discern thoughts and motives of our hearts (souls).
Even after we have placed our faith in Jesus and our spirit is born again, we must daily listen to hear His Words By Which We Will Be Saved from the power of sin, and by which our minds will be renewed. In His Word He will speak His Words to us, His perfect provision for our soul’s transformation.
How can a young man keep his way pure?
By keeping it according to Your word.
10 With all my heart I have sought You;
Do not let me wander from Your commandments.
11 Your word I have treasured in my heart,
That I may not sin against You, (Psalm 119:9-11).
For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, 23 but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!… (Romans 7:22-25).
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect, (Romans 12:2)
When we Hear His Words, we must Believe He is faithful to keep and make good exactly what He has spoken.
“God is not a man, that He should lie,
Nor a son of man, that He should repent;
Has He said, and will He not do it?
Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?” (Numbers 23:19).
“Therefore, keep up your courage, men, for I believe God that it will turn out exactly as I have been told,” (Acts 27:25).
And when we Hear from Him and Believe His Words, we must receive His Truth for us, personally. We must take hold of His Words by faith and receive His transforming work in saving our souls from the dominion of sin.
For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe, (1 Thessalonians 2:13).
Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls, (James 1:21).
Self-examination time: is there evidence in our own lives that we are hearing, believing and receiving His Words by Which We Will Be Saved?
- Is there Evidence of His Gift, Given for the Good of His Body?
- Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. 6 There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons. 7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good, (1 Corinthians 12:4-7).
- Is there Evidence of His Growth, Given for His Glory?
- but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen, (2 Peter 3:18).
- Is there Evidence of His Generosity, Given for His Gospel?
- Because of the proof given by this ministry, they will glorify God for your obedience to your confession of the gospel of Christ and for the liberality of your contribution to them and to all, (2 Corinthians 9:10).
Father, may there be evidence in our lives of Your Gift, Growth and Generosity for the Good of Your Body, Your Glory and Your Gospel. Father, please encourage our hearts in our commitment to daily seek to Hear, Believe and Receive all that You desire to Give through Your Words by Which Will Be Saved, that even our mind, will and emotions will be transformed and conformed to the image of Your Son.
For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, (Romans 8:29).