Originally posted: 08/29/2019
…in all, thirty-one kings, (12:24).
The battles have ceased and a tally is recorded of every conquered king and the territory acquired. Not one goes unnoticed; every defeat is entered into His publication. His records are impeccable, eternal and published.
Before the conquests, the Lord had commissioned Joshua. In His commissioning of His faithful servant, the Lord had also promised to accomplish His will for their future.
Now it came about after the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, that the Lord spoke to Joshua the son of Nun, Moses’ servant, saying, 2 “Moses My servant is dead; now therefore arise, cross this Jordan, you and all this people, to the land which I am giving to them, to the sons of Israel,” (Joshua 1:1-2).
Now, in Joshua 12, the Lord Published His Conquests, validating all He had spoken and proving His Promise, Power, Providence, Presence and Provision for Posterity to His faithful servant and His chosen people.
Consider Him Who Published His Conquests
- He Published His Conquests Proving His Promise
- “Every place on which the sole of your foot treads, I have given it to you, just as I spoke to Moses,” (Joshua 1:3).
- He Published His Conquests Proving His Power
- “From the wilderness and this Lebanon, even as far as the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and as far as the Great Sea toward the setting of the sun will be your territory. 5 No man will be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I have been with Moses, I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you,” (Joshua 1:4-5).
- He Published His Conquests Proving His Providence
- “Be strong and courageous, for you shall give this people possession of the land which I swore to their fathers to give them,” (Joshua 1:6).
- He Published His Conquests Proving His Presence
- “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go,” (Joshua 1:9).
- He Published His Conquests Providing for Posterity
- “Just as we obeyed Moses in all things, so we will obey you; only may the Lord your God be with you as He was with Moses,” (Joshua 1:17).
How do we respond to Him Who Published His Conquests?
How faithful is the Lord, our God, for He has Published His Conquests that we would have confident assurance of His victory in every future battle.
May we hear and heed His counsel spoken to Joshua.
“Only be strong and very courageous; be careful to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, so that you may have success wherever you go. 8 This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success,” (Joshua 1:7-8).
Let us pray we would daily grow in our love and complete dependence on His Word for our sustenance, strength and success.
“Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God,” (Matthew 4:4).
He Published His Conquests, His inspired list of victories to remind us of His faithfulness and to instill in us courage for the future.
Remember His wonders which He has done,
His marvels and the judgments uttered by His mouth, (Psalm 105:5).
I shall remember the deeds of the Lord;
Surely I will remember Your wonders of old.
12 I will meditate on all Your work
And muse on Your deeds.
13 Your way, O God, is holy;
What god is great like our God?
14 You are the God who works wonders;
You have made known Your strength among the peoples.
15 You have by Your power redeemed Your people, (Psalm 77:11-15).
Let us daily feed upon His Word to remember His wonders and His works, that we may be strengthened by His Promise, Power, Providence and Presence, that we would have unwavering trust in His Provision for our Posterity; for what god is great like our God Who Published His Conquests?