Originally posted: 07/13/2019
Then Pilate questioned Him again, saying, “Do You not answer? See how many charges they bring against You!” 5 But Jesus made no further answer; so Pilate was amazed, (15:4-5).
Jesus answered Pilate, revealing Who He was, “Pilate questioned Him, ‘Are You the King of the Jews?’ And He answered him, ‘It is as you say,’” (15:2) .
And after that, He Made No Further Answer. Jesus had spent the last three years publicly answering life’s most difficult questions in revealing Who He was and man’s need for salvation through His wisdom and knowledge, His humility and compassion, His teaching with authority, and His miracles, signs and wonders.
There was nothing left to say, and now before Pilate, He Made No Further Answer.
Consider Him Who Made No Further Answer
- He Made No Further Answer to the harsh accusations.
- The chief priests began to accuse Him harshly, (15:3).
- He Made No Further Answer to the crowd’s cry to release a murderer instead of Him, their long-awaited King.
- Pilate answered them, saying, “Do you want me to release for you the King of the Jews?” 10 For he was aware that the chief priests had handed Him over because of envy. 11 But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to ask him to release Barabbas for them instead, (15:9-11).
- He Made No Further Answer to the crowd’s demand for His death by crucifixion.
- Answering again, Pilate said to them, “Then what shall I do with Him whom you call the King of the Jews?” 13 They shouted back, “Crucify Him!” (15:12-13).
- He Made No Further Answer to the soldiers’ vicious mocking and beating.
- The soldiers took Him away into the palace …17 They dressed Him up in purple, and after twisting a crown of thorns, they put it on Him; 18 and they began to acclaim Him, “Hail, King of the Jews!” 19 They kept beating His head with a reed, and spitting on Him, and kneeling and bowing before Him. 20 After they had mocked Him… (15:16-19).
- He Made No Further Answer to the passersby wagging their heads and tongues.
- Those passing by were hurling abuse at Him, wagging their heads… (15:29).
- He Made No Further Answer to the mocking insults of the chief priest and scribes.
- In the same way the chief priests also, along with the scribes, were mocking Him among themselves… (15:31).
- He Made No Further Answer … until He cried out to His Father.
- When the sixth hour came, darkness fell over the whole land until the ninth hour. 34 At the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?” which is translated, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”… 37 And Jesus uttered a loud cry, and breathed His last, (15:33-35, 37).
- He Made No Further Answer … but the Centurion did.
- And the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. 39 When the centurion, who was standing right in front of Him, saw the way He breathed His last, he said, “Truly this man was the Son of God!” (15:38-39).
How do we respond to Him Who Made No Further Answer?
- All that must be answered has been answered in the message of the Gospel, the life, death and resurrection of our risen Savior.
- Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2 by which also you are saved…3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures… (1 Corinthians 15:1-4).
- Jesus Made No Further Answer to man; He was only concerned with One, His Father. We too must be concerned with only One. The One to Whom we will one day be required to answer is Holy God Who has declared the only way of salvation to all.
- Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, 31 because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead,” (Acts 17:30-31).
How will we answer Him Who Made No Further Answer? Will we respond like the centurion, acknowledging He truly is the Son of God?
- We must answer His invitation to “Come” by faith that we may take the water of life without cost.
- The Spirit and the bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost, (Revelation 22:17).
- His final Answer is recorded in the Holy Scriptures, and He Has Made No Further Answer; there is no further way of salvation.
- And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved, (Acts 4:12).
- “Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end,” (Revelation 22:12-13).
- He is coming quickly. Let us be ready to meet Him when He comes. Only by placing our faith in His sacrifice will we be cleansed and made ready to enter His presence for all eternity.
- Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city, (Revelation 22:14).
How will you answer Him when He comes? Are you ready?
He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming quickly.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus, (Revelation 22:20).