Originally posted: 08/27/2019
This phrase, “the Lord fought for Israel,” is repeated twice in Joshua 10. And we know when God repeats Himself… pay attention!
There was no day like that before it or after it, when the Lord listened to the voice of a man; for the Lord fought for Israel, (10:14).
Joshua captured all these kings and their lands at one time, because the Lord, the God of Israel, fought for Israel, (10:42).
Consider Him Who Fought for Israel
- He Fought against overwhelming odds
- So the five kings of the Amorites, the king of Jerusalem, the king of Hebron, the king of Jarmuth, the king of Lachish, and the king of Eglon, gathered together and went up, they with all their armies, and camped by Gibeon and fought against it, (10:5).
- He Fought by His promise of victory
- The Lord said to Joshua, “Do not fear them, for I have given them into your hands; not one of them shall stand before you,” (10:8).
- He Fought by confounding the enemy
- And the Lord confounded them before Israel, and He slew them with a great slaughter… (10:10).
- He Fought by His supernatural intervention
- As they fled from before Israel, while they were at the descent of Beth-horon, the Lord threw large stones from heaven on them as far as Azekah, and they died; there were more who died from the hailstones than those whom the sons of Israel killed with the sword, (10:11).
- And the sun stopped in the middle of the sky and did not hasten to go down for about a whole day. 14 There was no day like that before it or after it, when the Lord listened to the voice of a man; for the Lord fought for Israel, (10:13-14).
- He Fought and delivered His great victory
- Joshua captured all these kings and their lands at one time, because the Lord, the God of Israel, fought for Israel, (10:42).
How do we respond to Him Who Fought for Israel?
Today, and every day, may we realize and acknowledge we are desperate for the Lord God to Fight for the sake of righteousness and His glory.
Today, let us pray to Him Who Fought for Israel; that He would also Fight for our country and believers everywhere. Let us pray He would again Fight against the overwhelming odds for His own, by His Promises and supernatural intervention to deliver His great victory.
As we face overwhelming odds, let us not give way to debilitating fear on the battlefield. As the Lord continually reminded Joshua, He reminds us of His Presence through His Holy Spirit, Who empowers us to face the battles with His peace and courage.
“These things I have spoken to you while abiding with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. 27Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful,”(John 14:25-27).
He will Fight for us, but He also calls us to fight… by faith. Oh to have the faith of Joshua; to pray with such confidence, to make such a bold request in the sight of all his people, utterly convinced his God was more than able.
Then Joshua spoke to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the sons of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, “O sun, stand still at Gibeon, And O moon in the valley of Aijalon.” 13 So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, Until the nation avenged themselves of their enemies, (10:12-13).
Let us also come to the Lord in faith, believing He will empower us to join Him in His Fight through our bold and courageous prayers… and our holy and prudent lives.
- Let us pray He would Fight for His glory, that His purposes will be accomplished.
- “Remember this, and be assured;
Recall it to mind, you transgressors.
9 Remember the former things long past,
For I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is no one like Me,
10 Declaring the end from the beginning,
And from ancient times things which have not been done,
Saying, ‘My purpose will be established,
And I will accomplish all My good pleasure’”; (Isaiah 46:8-10).
- “Remember this, and be assured;
- Let us pray for our nation, that He would Fight as we humble ourselves under His mighty hand, trusting in His perfect timing and ways.
- Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, 7 casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you, (1 Peter 5:6-7).
- As we pray, let us be sober and alert as we trust Him to Fight for us as we resist the enemy and stand firm in our faith; that He will do all He has promised.
- Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9 But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world. 10 After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you. 11 To Him be dominion forever and ever. Amen, (1 Peter 5:8-11).
- How we need Him Who Fought for Israel to Fight for us! Let us never take for granted the privilege He has granted, to approach His throne of grace to find help in time of need.
- Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. 16 Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need, (Hebrews 4:14-16).