Originally posted: 5/15/2020
So the king did not listen to the people, for it was a turn of events from God that the Lord might establish His word, which He spoke through Ahijah the Shilonite to Jeroboam the son of Nebat, (10:15).
The account, chronicling the beginning of the reign of Solomon’s son, Rehoboam, is also reported in the first half of 1 Kings 12.
Yes, I admit, this story is definitely one that does not line up with my own understanding. Solomon’s son, in his prideful youth, rejects the counsel of those who know better, even before he gathered his friends to have his ears tickled.
And in this scenario, I was reminded of Proverbs 20:24:
Man’s steps are ordained by the Lord,
How then can man understand his way?
And without violating man’s free will, man’s life choices are directed by His Turn of Events. And let’s just all accept the reality, there is much about His Turn of Events we simply do not understand.
But He will reiterate this same truth in tomorrow’s reading. This thing had come from Him; it was in fact, His Turn of Events.
But the word of the Lord came to Shemaiah the man of God, saying, 3 “Speak to Rehoboam the son of Solomon, king of Judah, and to all Israel in Judah and Benjamin, saying, 4 ‘Thus says the Lord, “You shall not go up or fight against your relatives; return every man to his house, for this thing is from Me,”’” (2 Chronicles 11:2-4).
Consider His Turn of Event
- His Turn of Events offers wise counsel.
- Then King Rehoboam consulted with the elders who had served his father Solomon while he was still alive, saying, “How do you counsel me to answer this people?”… 8 But he forsook the counsel of the elders which they had given him, and consulted with the young men who grew up with him and served him, (10:6, 8).
- His Turn of Events establishes His Word.
- So the king did not listen to the people, for it was a turn of events from God that the Lord might establish His word… (10:15).
How do we respond to His Turn of Events?
Although we do not fully understand His Ways, He has given us what we do need through faith in His Son, in order to be brought into relationship with Him and to live a life that is both prudent and blessed. So, while we cannot explain how His Sovereignty is coupled with our free will, we do know it is certainly His Turn of Events that we want to experience.
- We can cooperate with His Turn of Events as we seek His wise counsel.
- My son, if you will receive my words
And treasure my commandments within you,
2 Make your ear attentive to wisdom,
Incline your heart to understanding;
3 For if you cry for discernment,
Lift your voice for understanding;
4 If you seek her as silver
And search for her as for hidden treasures;
5 Then you will discern the fear of the Lord
And discover the knowledge of God, (Proverbs 2:1-5).
- My son, if you will receive my words
- We will grow to trust His Turn of Events as we trust Him to establish His Word in us.
- “For nothing will be impossible with God.” 38 And Mary said, “Behold, the bondslave of the Lord; may it be done to me according to your word,” (Luke 1:37-38).
- We must study His Word so we can stand strong in the truth, convinced His Turn of Events comes from Him.
- And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose, (Romans 8:28).
- As we consecrate our lives and minds unto Him, and commit ourselves to seek His counsel above our own, He will be faithful to transform and grow our understanding of His Turn of Events.
- Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect, (Romans 12:1-2).
Today, may we be both reminded and convinced, He is absolutely Sovereign. This health crisis in which we currently find ourselves living, as well as any crisis we may encounter in the future, is not beyond the realm of His Power or Faithfulness. Let us seek Him daily, that He would grow our trust in Him Who is on the throne. He is over all creation, including pandemics; and as He works all things together for good, His Turn of Events will hold all things together. He has us!
For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17 He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together, (Colossians 1:16-17).