Originally posted: 6/14/2020
For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, (6:20).
There are still so many problems that need to be addressed in the church in Corinth. And much of this letter from Paul reminds me of much of Proverbs; they both can seemingly come across as a tangent of disjointed thoughts. But there is a unifying factor in every bit of Paul’s counsel, warning, and admonition expressed; and it comes down to this, the Price He Paid.
And if only that Price, that horrific, undeniably excruciating Price He Paid, for us, would stay permanently etched at the forefront of our minds…
Consider the Price He Paid
- The Price He Paid to set us apart…
- Does any one of you, when he has a case against his neighbor, dare to go to law before the unrighteous and not before the saints? …6 but brother goes to law with brother, and that before unbelievers? (6:1, 6).
- The Price He Paid to radically transform our lives…
- Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? …11 Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God, (6:9, 11).
- The Price He Paid to give us self-control…
- All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything, (6:12).
- The Price He Paid to raise us up with Him through His Power…
- Now God has not only raised the Lord, but will also raise us up through His power, (6:14).
- The Price He Paid to make us members of His body…
- Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? (6:15).
- The Price He Paid to make us His temple…
- Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God… (6:19).
- The Price He Paid to make us His own…
- …and that you are not your own? (6:19).
- The Price He Paid, that we would glorify Him.
- For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, (6:20).
How do we respond to the Price He Paid?
Oh, that we would consider, each and every day, the Price He Paid; that we would be moved in our desire and resolve to glorify Him in our every thought, word, and deed.
- For the Price He Paid, let us glorify Him as we cleanse ourselves to be set apart for only Him.
- Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God, (2 Corinthians 7:1).
- For the Price He Paid, let us glorify Him through our transformed lives.
- But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit, (2 Corinthians 3:18).
- For the Price He Paid, let us glorify Him as we yield to His Holy Spirit for self-control.
- But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh, (Galatians 5:16).
- For the Price He Paid, let us glorify Him as we rely on His Power to raise us up above the difficulties of this life.
- And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10 Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong, (2 Corinthians 12:9-10).
- For the Price He Paid, let us glorify Him as we live in unity as members of His body.
- Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus, 6 so that with one accord you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, (Romans 15:5-6).
- For the Price He Paid, let us glorify Him as we selflessly offer up ourselves as His holy temple.
- you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ, (1 Peter 2:5).
- For the Price He Paid, let us glorify Him as we live only for Him, persuaded we belong to Him as His own.
- For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; 8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s, (Romans 14:7-8).
- For the Price He Paid, let us glorify Him with all that we are and all that we do!
- Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God, (1 Corinthians 10:31).
As we daily consider the Price He Paid, how can we not be filled with gratitude and praise? Oh that our lives would become a song of praise and thanksgiving, to glorify Him for the Price He Paid.
I will praise God’s name in song
and glorify Him with thanksgiving, (Psalm 69:30 NIV).